I've noticed that people say some incredibly interesting things to pregnant women, and I get a lot of comments since I'm having twins. Quite honestly, I'm okay with the comments/questions, I just think it's funny what some people comment on. Such as:
1. Horror stories about someone's neighbor's cousin's hairdresser's sister who delivered her twins at 25 weeks and all the things that happened with them. (They did turn out okay.) The person finished that story with,"I'm sure that won't happen to you! Your boys will be fine!"
2. All sorts of questions about whether we did fertility treatments to conceive twins. Some people are more subtle, others are about as subtle as a brick wall.
3. Comments as to how big my belly is getting.
4. Comments as to how small I still am.
5. A lecture on their opinion on whether we should nurse/stay home/have an epidural/have a c-section/etc.
6. Upon finding out that we are having twins, some sort of remark about how much work it's going to be. (Really? I thought having babies was a walk in the park!)
7. Upon finding out that we are having twins, commenting that they're glad it's me and not them. (I'm glad it's us, too!)
8. Telling me how having boys is so much harder than having girls.
9. Commenting on how I should be glad that I'm not having quintuplets.
10. Rubbing my belly. So far it's only been women that I know, but I'm sure that'll change as the boys grow!
Again, these things don't bother me, I take things that people say with a grain of salt. I just am amused at some of the things people do say to me!
3 comments:
I've run into the same sort of thing with having a cleft baby, and it has made me much more aware of what I say to first-time moms-to-be. So, I'll say this:
Dezi and David,
I know that you two have been waiting a long time to become parents. I know that you have, and will continue to, prepare(d) to make sure they are well cared for and receive all the opportunities that children deserve. Likewise, I know that you are the kind of person who does her research on situations that she is, or will be, in, so I doubt that you will need my inexpert advice. However, should you feel the need to vent, gripe, chat, or seek advice, I will be here for you.
Thanx, Crystal!
I love this, Dezi! When Haley and Wesley were little, Susan and I would take them to the mall and people would be astonished - like they'd never seen twins before! People are so funny about stuff like that. Jarrod and I get a lot of "when the heck are you going to have babies!" I'm sure you and David got that too. So thrilled for you both!
Post a Comment