David and I decided that we should have a monthly date night. Last month, we did dinner and dancing. I was in charge of date night this month, and I had a LOT of fun researching ideas: playing mini-golf, cooking classes, going to a rodeo, etc. I decided on the activity and made reservations for the Saturday before our anniversary.
David's parents came into town for the weekend, so we had a couple of built-in babysitters. Of course, a few minutes before we were supposed to leave, the skies opened up and it was pouring! We grabbed an extra umbrella and headed on our way. By the time we got there, the rain had subsided. We were headed to a performance of a melodrama at the Pocket Sandwich Theatre. I'd heard fun things about this place and thought it'd be a fun anniversary date!
We were seated, ordered our food and turned our attention to the playbill. We were going to be watching a show called "Sinbad the Sailor." This show was going to be a spoof of Saturday morning cartoons, with music, a hero, a villain and of course, a damsel in distress. The big thing at this theatre, is that we were encouraged to throw popcorn: at the actors, at the staff, at anyone who looked like they needed popcorn thrown at them. Let me tell you, giving people popcorn to throw turned everyone into six year-olds! And it was awesome!
Before the show started, a cast member came onstage and led the audience in a couple of songs. Then, he gave us instructions: say 'hooray' and cheer at something heroic, say 'awwww' at something sad/tender, and and boo/hiss at evil actions. We all had a blast! Between acts, people bought more popcorn, as the staff swept the stage. Sometimes one of the waitstaff would dump a big bowl of popcorn on a table. One of my favorite parts was where the villain was making a big speech, and the table to the right of the stage was bombarding him with popcorn! I was amazed that he never once broke character! The show was an absolute hoot, and I'm so glad that we went! We will definitely be doing that more in the future!

No comments:
Post a Comment